Social Startup 48 (SS48) - Sydney
SS48 Sydney takes place on 4-6 May 2012 at Queen Street Studios, Chippendale. Applications for SS48 Sydney close on 13 April 2012. Visit http://ss48.org for more information
Who are we?
SS48 is a non-profit organisation committed to driving positive change in society the "business" way. We believe that the social sector in Australia falls short of operating at its full potential, and that it needs more attention in the community, particularly from the business and public sectors.
What is the vision?
Our vision is to be the launchpad for entrepreneurs who will go forth to create significant social impact in cities in Australia and around the world.
How will we achieve this?
By connecting up people who share similar passions at an exciting 48 hour weekend event. We provide participants with the network, support, tools and resources required to take their giant first leaps into social enterprise. Our model is developed in such a way that it can be replicated in cities everywhere.
How does a SS48 event work?
1. Teams form and decide on a specific social impact goal they want to achieve, as well as the enterprise that will be the vehicle for achieving that goal
2. Each team is given 48 hours to flush out their idea and create:
* A business identity: name, logo and website
* A business plan: strategy, funding and marketing
3. Teams present their social startups to a panel of philanthropists and social entrepreneurs who will test their concepts and see if the ideas have true potential